- "Organizing for homeland security after Katrina: Is adaptive management what's missing?" Public Administration Review, 66 (3): 302-318 (2006)
- "A full and fair capacity: Federal courts managing state programs," (with R. K. Christensen), Administration and Society, 37(5), 576-610 (2005)
- "The Ukrainian orange revolution brought more than a new president: What kind of democracy will the institutional changes bring?" (with R. K. Christensen, and E. Rakhimkulov), Communist and Post-Communist Studies, 38 (2): 207-230 (2005)
- "Property rights, regulatory takings, and environmental policy," Environmental Governance Reconsidered: Challenges, Choices, and Opportunities (R. Durant, R D. Fiorino, and O’Leary (Eds.). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (2004)
- "Constitutional courts and legislative-executive relations: The case of Ukraine," (with T. Brown), Political Science Quarterly, 119(1):143-169 (2004)
- "Breaking up is hard to do: The dissolution of judicial supervision of public services," (with R. O’Leary), Public Administration Review, 63(2): 177-191 (2003)
- "When things go wrong," (with L. Bingham, B. Clemow, and S. Murray), in Human Resource Management in Local Government 2nd edition (Siegren Fox Freyss (Ed.). Washington, D.C.: International City Management Association, (2004)
Reports and Publications:
- Charles, and Christian Freitag. "Balancing Accountability and Risk in Program Implementation: The Case of National Fire Policy." Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 12 (40:493-523). 2002.
- Pigenko, Vladimir, Trevor Brown, and Charles Wise. "Elite Attitudes and Democratic Stability: Analyzing Legislators' Attitudes Towards the Separation of Powers in Ukraine." Europe-Asia Studies 54:87-107. 2002.
- Wise, Charles. "Setting the Boundaries for Public Employee Liability for Sexual Harassment." Review of Public Personnel Administration. 22:320-325. 2002.
- Wise, Charles and Rania Nader. "Organizing The Federal System For Homeland Security." Public Administration Review 62:44-57. 2002.
- Wise, Charles. "Recent Supreme Court Cases Affecting Local Governments." The Municipal Yearbook 2001, ICMA, Washington, D.C. 2002.
- Wise, Charles. Property Rights, "Regulatory Takings, and Environmental Policy," (Robert Durant, Rosemary O'leary, and Daniel Fiorino, Eds.) Built To Last? Thirteen Ideas. Mit Press. 2002.
- Wise, Charles, and Rosemary O'Leary. "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do: The Dissolution Of Judicial Supervision Of Public Services." Public Administration Review 63 (2):177-191. 2003.
- Wise, Charles. Reorganizing The Federal Government For Homeland Security: Congress Creates a New Department. Extensions 14-19. 2003.
Wise, Charles, and Trevor Brown. "Constitutional Courts And Legislative-Executive Relations: The Case Of Ukraine." Political Science Quarterly. 2004.
- Wise, Charles, Brian Clemow, Sarrane Murray, and Lisa Bingham. "When Things Go Wrong." Siegren Fox Freyss (ed.) Human Resource Management in Local Government, 2nd edition, Washington, DC: International City Management Association: 181-201. 2005.
- Wise, Charles R. and Robert K. Christensen. "A Full and Fair Capacity: Federal Courts Managing State Programs." Administration and Society 37(5):576-610. 2005.
- Christensen, Robert K.,Edward Rakhimkulov, and Charles R. Wise. "The Ukrainian Orange Revolution Brought More than a New President: What Kind of Democracy will the Institutional Changes Bring?" Communist and Post-Communist Studies 38:207-230. 2005.
- Brown, Trevor and Charles R. Wise. "Constitutional Courts and Legislative-Executive Relations: The Case of Ukraine." Political Science Quarterly 119(1):143-169. 2004.