Faculty: Flynn Picardal
Reports and Publications:
- “Desulfuromonas carbonis sp. nov., an Fe(III)-, So-, and Mn(IV)-reducing bacterium isolated from an active coalbed methane gas well,” (with T.T. An International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology (in press, 2015).
- “Chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis in coal," (with A. Furmann, A. Schimmelmann, S.C. Brassell, and M. Mastalerz), Chemical Geology 339:226-241 (2013)
- “Abiotic and Microbial Interactions during Anaerobic Transformations of Fe and NOx-,” Frontiers in Microbiology 3:112 (2012)
- “Fe(II)-dependent growth and Fe(II) oxidation by a Dechlorospirillum species,” (with Z. Zaybak, A. Chakraborty, J. Schieber, and U. Szewzyk), FEMS Microbiology Letters 319:51-57 (2011)
- "Desulfocarbo indianensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a benzoate-oxidizing, sulfate-reducing bacterium isolated from water extracted from a coal bed," (with T. T. An), International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 64: 2907-2914 (2014)
- "Induction of nitrate-dependent Fe(II) oxidation by Fe(II) in Dechloromonas sp. strain UWNR4 and Acidovorax sp. strain 2AN," (with A. Chakraborty), Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 79: 748-752 (2013)
- “Enhanced growth of Acidovorax sp. strain 2AN during nitrate-Dependent Fe(II) oxidation in batch and continuous-flow systems," (with A. Chakraborty, E. E. Roden, and J. Schieber), Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 8548-8556 (2011)
- "Repeated anaerobic microbial redox cycling of iron," (with A. J. Coby, E. Shelobolina, H. Xu, and E. E. Roden), Applied and Environmental Microbiology,77, 6036-6042 (2011)
Reports and Publications:
- "Release of potassium accompanying the dissolution of rice straw phytolith,"(with A.T. Bui, S. Dultz, M.N. Nguyen, Q. Van Pham, and J. Schieber),Chemosphere, 119C: 371-376 (2015)
- "Catabolic plasmid specifying polychlorinated biphenyl degradation in Cupriavidus sp. strain SK-4: Mobilization and expression in a pseudomonad,"(with R. Aramayo, S. A. Adebusoye, M.O. Ilori, O. S. Obayori and M. J. Benedik), Journal of Basic Microbiology, 53: 1-8 (2013)
- "Extractability of biomarkers from high- and low-vitrinite coals and its effect on the porosity of coal," (with S. C. Brassell, A. Furmann, M. Mastalerz, and A. Schimmelmann), International Journal of Coal Geology, 107 :141-151 (2013)
- "Neutrophilic, nitrate-dependent, Fe(II) oxidation by a Dechloromonas species," (with A. Chakraborty), World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 29(4): 617-623 (2013)
- "Aerobic degradation of naphthalene, fluoranthene, pyrene and chrysene using indigenous strains of bacteria isolated from a former industrial site,"(with O. O. Amund, T. T. An, and O.C. Nwinyi), Canadian Journal of Pure & Applied Sciences, 7(2): 2303-2314 (2013)
- Cooper, D.C., F.W. Picardal, A. Schimmelmann, and A.J. Coby. Chemical And Biological Interactions During Nitrate And Goethite Reduction By Shewanella Putrefaciens 200. Applied And Environmental Microbiology 69(6):3517-3525. 2003.
- Picardal, F. and D. C. Cooper. Microbially Mediated Changes in the Mobility of Contaminant Metals in Soils and Sediments. In I. Ahmad, S. Hayat, and J. Pitchel (eds.), Heavy Metal Contamination of Soilâ€"Problems and Remedies. Science Publishers: 43-8. 2005.
- Cooper, D.C., A.L. Neal, R.K. Kukkadapu, D. Brewe, A. Coby, and F.W. Picardal. Effects of Surface Area and Sediment Mineralogy on Microbially Mediated Changes in Divalent Metal Speciation, Importance of Ferrihydrite Geochimica et Cosmochima Acta 69. 2005.
- Coby, Aaron J. and Flynn W. Picardal. Inhibition of NO3- and NO2- Reduction by Microbial Fe(III) Reduction: Evidence of a Reaction Between NO2- and Cell Surface-Bound Fe2+. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 71(9):5267-5274. 2005.
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., F.W. Picardal, M.O. Ilori, O.O. Amund, C. Fuqua, and N. Grindle. Growth on Ortho-substituted Dichlorobiphenyls with Chlorine Substitution on Each Ring by Tropical Bacteria. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 74:484-492. 2007.
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., F.W. Picardal, M.O. Ilori, O.O. Amund, C. Fuqua, and N. Grindle. Aerobic Degradation of Di- and Trichlorobenzenes by Two Bacteria Isolated from Polluted Tropical Soils. Chemosphere 66(1):1939-1946. 2007.
- Coby, A.J. and F.W. Picardal. Influence of Sediment Components on the Immobilization of Zn During Microbial Fe-(hydr)oxide Reduction. Environmental Science and Technology 40(12):3813-3818. 2006.
- Cooper, D. Craig, A.J. Coby, and F.W. Picardal. Interactions between Microbial Iron Reduction and Metal Geochemistry: Effect of Redox Cycling on Transition Metal Speciation in Iron Bearing Sediments. Environmental Science and Technology 40(6): 1884. 2006.
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., Ilori, M. O., Picardal, F. W., and O. O. Amund. Metabolism of chlorinated biphenyls: Use of 3,3'- and 3,5-dichlorobiphenyl as sole sources of carbon by natural species of Ralstonia and Pseudomonas. Chemosphere 70: 656-663 (2008)
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., Ilori, M. O., Picardal, F. W., and O. O. Amund. Influence of chlorobenzoic acids on the growth and degradation potentials of PCB-degrading microorganisms. World J of Microbiology and Biotechnology 24(7): 1203-1208 (2008)
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., Ilori, M. O., Picardal, F. W., and M. O., Amund. Extensive biodegradation of polychlorinated biphenyls in Aroclor 1242 and electrical transformer fluid (Askarel) by natural strains of microorganism indigenous to contaminated African
- Adebusoye, S. A., F. W. Picardal, M. O. Ilori, O. O. Amund, and C. Fuqua. Characterization of multiple novel aerobic polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB)-utilizing bacterial strains indigenous to contaminated tropical African soils. Biodegradation 19: 1 (2008).
- Strapoc, Dariusz, Picardal, F.W., Turich, C., Schaperdoth, I., Macalady, J.L., Lipp, J. L., Lin, Y.-S., Ertefai, T. F., Schubotz, F., Hinrichs, K.-U., Mastalerz, M., and Schimmelmann, A. An analysis of the methane-producing microbial community in a coal bed of the Illinois Basin Strapoc (2008).
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., Ilori, M. O., Picardal, F. W., and O. O. Amund. Cometabolic degradation of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) by axenic cultures of Ralstonia sp. strain SA-5 and Pseudomonas sp. strain SA-6 obtained from Nigerian contaminated soils (2008)
- Gößner, A. S., F. Picardal, R. S. Tanner, and Harold L. Drake. Carbon metabolism of the moderately acid-tolerant acetogen Clostridium Drakei isolated from peat. FEMS Microbiology Letters 287:236-242. (2008).
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., Ilori, M. O., Picardal, F. W., and O. O. Amund. Evidence of aerobic utilization of di-ortho-substituted trichlorobiphenyls as growth substrates by by Pseudomonas sp. SA-6 and Ralstonia sp. SA-4 Pseudomonas sp. SA-6 and Ralstonia sp. SA-4. Environmental Microbiology 10(5): (2008)
- Picardal, F.W, Zaybak, Z., Chakraborty, A., Schieber, J., and U. Szewzyk. Microaerophilic, Fe(II)-dependent growth and Fe(II) oxidation by a Dechlorospirillum species. FEMS Microbiology Letters 319: 51-57 (2011)
- A. Regberg, K. Singha, M. Tien, F. Picardal, Q. Zheng , J. Schieber, S. Brantley. Electrical conductivity as an indicator of iron reduction rates in abiotic and biotic systems. Water Resources Research 47: W04509, doi:10.1029/2010WR009551 (2011)