Planning your study abroad experience is easier when you have resources to help guide you.
FAQ & Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the application deadline?
Spring Break Programs:
- Final Deadline - 11:59pm on Oct 24
- Priority Deadline - 11:59pm on Dec 1
- Final Deadline - 11:59pm on Feb 1
- Spring Exchanges - 11:59 pm on Sept 1
- Fall Exchanges - 11:59pm March 1
- Will study abroad count for world language and cultures credit?
To use international experience to satisfy the WL&C requirement, you must complete an approved study abroad program of at least 6 credit hours and at least 6 weeks abroad in duration
Complete a combination of two overseas programs totaling 6+ weeks and 6+ credit hours abroad. You can only combine two overseas programs if both of the following conditions are met:
- Both overseas programs must, at a minimum, be three weeks abroad in duration
- You must earn at least 3 credit hours from both of the overseas programs
*The two overseas programs do not have to be completed during the same summer.
SPEA Abroad has multiple summer course options that will fulfill this requirement.
OPTION 4: Combine two SPEA Abroad courses (that are both 3+ weeks and 3+ credits). Pick two of the following courses:
- Athens (3 week/3 credit) - Democratic Institutions and Ideals in Classical and Contemporary Greece (CLC students only)
- Barbados (3 week/3 credit) - Global Human Resource Management
- Bavaria & Lombardia (3 week/4 credit) - Global Perspectives on Public and Private Sector Interaction
- Denmark (3 week/3 credit) - Nonproft Sector in Comparative Perspective
- London (3 week/3 credit) - Bubonic Plague
- London (3 week/3 credit) - Managing Hazards in Europe and the U.S.
- London (3 week/3 credit) - Wars Wealth and Welfare: State-Building
OPTION 5: Come talk to us about other possible course combinations!
- Can I participate in more than one summer program?
Yes. However, if you are a SPEA student you are limited to 6 SPEA credit hours of V482/E482 without SPEA advisor approval for additional credits.
- What is the last day I can cancel my summer study abroad program?
Once you submit your letter of acceptance to our office, you are liable for the non-refundable $500 deposit. April 1st is the last day you can cancel your abroad program without owing the FULL program fee, only owing the $500 deposit.
- What are the biggest expenses to study abroad with SPEA?
Tuition: You will pay tuition for all SPEA Abroad programs based on the number of credit hours. Our programs range from 1-15 credit hours. The cost per credit hour will vary based on your student status. Please refer to the Bursar’s Office for specific rates.
Flight: For most SPEA Abroad programs you are required to purchase your own flight.
Program Fee (spring break and summer): All of our spring break and summer abroad programs have a program fee that covers housing, medical insurance, some food, group excursions, etc. This cost will vary greatly depending on location, length of program, and additional amenities that are included in the fee. Check the program pages for details.
Housing (semester): For our semester exchanges you are responsible for the cost of your housing. This will be the biggest variable cost between semester programs, as the cost-of-living differs greatly across the world.
- What scholarship opportunities are available to me?
Please visit our scholarship page to learn more.
- If I am a SPEA minor or Certificate am I eligible to get the SPEA scholarship?
Yes, any person pursuing a SPEA minor, certificate, or major is eligible to receive the SPEA scholarship.