Faculty: Jonathan Raff
Reports and Publications:
- "Combined Flux Chamber and Genomics Approach Links Nitrous Acid Emissions to Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria and Archaea in Urban and Agricultural Soil," (with N.K. Scharko, U. M. E. Schütte, A. E. Berke , L. Banina, H. R. Peel, M. A. Donaldson, C. Hemmerich, and J. R. White), Environmental Science and Technology, Ron Hites Tribute volume, (2015)
- "Release of nitrous acid and nitrogen dioxide from nitrate photolysis in acidic aqueous solutions," (with N. K. Scharko and A. E. Berke), Environmental Science and Technology, 48 (20): 11991–12001 (2014)
- "Uptake of gas phase nitrous acid onto boundary layer soil surfaces," (with A. E. Berke and M.A. Donaldson), Environmental Science and Technology, 48 (1): 375–383 (2014)
- "Formation of nitrous acid during ammonia photooxidation on TiO2 under atmospherically relevant conditions," (with L.E. Appelt, M.A. Kebede, N.K. Scharko), The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 4 (16): 2618–2623 (2013)
- "Photooxidation of ammonia on TiO2 as a source of NO and NO2 under atmospheric conditions," (R.B. Gerber, M.A. Kebede, N.K. Scharko, and M.E. Varner), Journal of the American Chemical Society, 135 (23): 8606–8615 (2013)
- “Experimental and theoretical studies of the interaction of gas phase nitric acid and water with a self-assembled monolayer," (with C. W. Dilbeck, B.J. Finlayson-Pitts, S.G. Moussa, A. C. Stern, and D. J. Tobias), Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 15: 448–458 (2013) [cover]
- “Thermal and photochemical oxidation of self-assembled monolayers on alumina particles exposed to nitrogen dioxide,” (with J. Szányi and B.J. Finlayson-Pitts), Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 13: 604–611 (2011)
- “Hydroxyl radical quantum yields from isopropyl nitrite photolysis in air,” (with B.J. Finlayson-Pitts), Environmental Science and Technology, 44 (21): 8150–8155 (2010)
- “Chlorine activation indoors and outdoors via surface‐mediated reactions of nitrogen oxides with hydrogen chloride,” (with W. Chang, D. Dabdub, R.B. Gerber, M. Gordon, B.J. Finlayson-Pitts, and B. Njegic), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106(33): 13647–13654 (2009) [cover]
Reports and Publications:
- Raff, J. D., Hites, R. A. "Gas-Phase Reactions of Brominated Diphenyl Ethers with OH Radicals," J. Phys. Chem. A, 110, 10783-10792. 2006.
- Raff, J. D., Hites, R. A. "Deposition versus Photochemical Removal of PBDEs from Lake Superior Air," Environmental Science Technology, 41, 6725-6731. 2007.
- Kamboures, M. A., Raff, J. D., Miller, Y., Phillips, L. F., Finlayson-Pitts, B. J., Gerber, R. B. "Complexes of HNO3 and NO3- with NO2 and N2O4, and Their Potential Role in Atmospheric HONO Formation," Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 39, 6019-6032. 2008.
- Chlorine Activation Indoors and Outdoors via Surface?Mediated Reactions of Nitrogen Oxides with Hydrogen Chloride With Njegic, B., Chang, W., Dabdub, D., Gerber, R. B., Gordon, M., Finlayson-Pitts, B. J. 2009 in Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 106, 13647-13654.
- Pitts, B. J., Gerber, R. B. "A Catalytic Role for Water in Atmospheric Production of ClNO." J. Phys. Chem. A, 114, 4609-4618. 2010.
- Thermal and Photochemical Oxidation of Self-Assembled Monolayers on Alumina Particles Exposed to Nitrogen Dioxide Raff, J. D., Finlayson-Pitts, B. J. 2010. "Hydroxyl Radical Quantum Yields from Isopropyl Nitrite Photolysis in Air" Environ. Sci. Technol. DOI: 10.1021/es102218d.