Faculty: Burnell Fischer
Reports and Publications:
- “Urban forestry and arboriculture as interdisciplinary environmental science: importance and incorporation of other disciplines,” (with J. Vogt and R.J. Hauer), Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, 1-16, 11 August 2015
- "Explaining planted-tree survival and growth in urban neighborhoods: A social-ecological approach to studying recently-planted trees in Indianapolis," (with J. Vogt, S.Watkins, S. Mincey, and M. Patterson) Landscape and Urban Planning, 136, pages 120-143, April 2015
- "Variations in the social networks of forest owners: The effect of management activity, resource professionals, and ownership size," (with T. Ruseva, T. Evans) Small-scale Forestry 13(3): 377-395 (2014)
- "A protocol for citizen science monitoring of recently-planted urban trees," (with J. Vogt), Cities and the Environment (CATE), Vol. 7: Iss. 2, Article 4, 26p.(2014)
- "Evaluating the USFS State & Private Forestry Redesign Program: A first look at policy implications," (with M. Cox, K. Mincey, T. B. Ruseva, and S. Tomas-Villamayor), Ecological Economics, 85:35-42 (2013)
- "Missing ecology: Integrating ecological perspectives with the social-ecological systems framework," (with M. Cox, G. Epstein, S.K. Mincey, and J.M. Vogt), International Journal of the Commons, 7(2) 432-453 (2013)
- “Structuring institutional analysis for urban ecosystems: A key to sustainable urban forest management,” (with T. Evans, S. M. Hutten, K. Mincey, S. Stewart, and J.M. Vogt), Urban Ecosystems, 16: 553-571 (2013).
- “Public-private interactions in the conservation of private forests in the United States,” (with T. B. Ruseva), in Human Environment Environment Interactions: Current and Future Directions, (E.S. Brondizio & E.F. Moran,Eds.). Newark, NJ: Springer (2013).
- “Private residential urban forest structure and carbon storage in moderate-sized urban area in the Midwest United States,” (with T. Evans, S.K. Mincey, M. Patterson, and M. Schmitt-Harsh), Urban Forests & Urban Greening 12(4) 454-463 (2013).
- “The shared stewardship and leadership of our private forests: Insights from forest landowners’ personal networks,” (with T. B. Ruseva), in Environmental Leadership: A Reference Handbook (D.R. Gallagher (Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2012.
- “Using stocking guides to take stock of forest institutions,” (with E. A. Coleman, and J.A. Kershaw), Society and Natural Resources 25:2009-15 (2012).
- “The U.S. forest service and Its responsibilities under the national environmental policy act: A work design problem,” (with M. Auer, C. Freitag, J. Grice, K. Richards, and D. Seesholtz,), Public Organization Review, 11: 135-153 (2011).
Reports and Publications:
- Fischer, B.C. "State Trends in Forest/Wildlife Issues: An Indiana Division of Forestry Perspective." (B.K. Miller ed.) Managing Forests for Sustainable Wildlife, Purdue University Extension Service Bulletin. 2005.
- Fischer, B.C. "The Division of Forestry and the Indiana Bat 2004 Status." The Woodland Steward 13(2):11. 2004.
- Fischer, B.C. The Need for Alternative Institutions for Management of Forest Land across Boundaries in Indiana. Forest Land Conservation: An Indiana Portfolio. Workshop presented by the Center for the Study of Institutions, Population, Environmental. 2004.
- Fischer, B.C., M. Steinhoff, S.K. Mincey, and L. Dye. The 2007 IUB Street Tree Report: An Analysis of Demographics and Ecosystem Services. IUB, Ind.: Urban Forestry Report 01-07. 2007.
- Arnold, G., J. Bauer, B. Fischer, F. Fleischman, M. Midgley, S. Mincey, M.P. Priebe, K. Souzq, C. Tucker, and S.V. Tomas. An Initial Visit to the Yellowwood Lake Watershed Forest. International Forestry Resources and Institutions Research Program. 2007.
- Farmer, J.R. and B.C. Fischer. Motivations for the Use of Conservation Easements as Tools for Personal Land Conservation and Preservation in Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: Abstracts, Indiana Academy of Science, 123rd Annual Meeting. 2007.
- Mincey, S.K. and B.C. Fischer. STRATUM (Street Tree Resource Analysis Tool for Urban Forest Managers): An Analysis and Recent Case Study from IUB, Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: Abstracts, Indiana Academy of Science, 123rd Annual Meeting. 2007.
- Bauer, J., B. Fischer, G. Garcia-Lopez, R. Holahan, P. Kashwan, E. Ostrom, and B. Steed. Revisiting the Elvin H.O.M.E. Inc. and the Lothlorien Forest. International Forestry Resources and Institutions Research Program, IUB, Ind. 2006.
- Fischer, B.C. and B.C. Steed. 2008 Street Trees: A Misunderstood Common Pool Resource. Proceedings of the 84th International Society of Arboriculture Annual Conference, St. Lous, MO. 18p
- B.C. Steed and B.C. Fischer. Proceedings 12th Biennial Conference of the International Association for the Study of the Commons, University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, England, 19p. 2008.
- Morrissey, R.C., D.F. Jacobs, J.R. Seifert, B.C. Fischer and J.R. Kershaw. Competitive success of natural oak regenerations in clearcuts during the stem exclusion stage. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 38:1419-1430. 2008.
- Morrissey, R.C., M-M Gautheir, J.A. Kershaw, Jr., D.F. Jacobs, J.R. Seifert and B.C. Fischer. Grapevine (Vitis spp.) dynamics in association with manual tending, physiography, and host tree associations in temperate deciduous forests. Forest Ecology and Management 257(8): 1839-1846. 2009.
- Auer, M., K. Richard, D. Seesholtz, B. Fischer, C. Freitag and J. Grice. The U.S. Forest Service and Its Responsibilities under the Naitonal Environmental Policy Act: A Work Design Problem. Public Organization Review DOI 10.1007/s1115-010-0115-6 (published online: 08 May 2010)
- Fischer, B.C. and T.B. Ruseva. What is Happening In and Outside Americas Private Woodlands" Journal of Forestry 108(6): 304-306. 2010.
- Tucker, C., A. Argrawal and B.C. Fischer. The International Forestry Resources and Institutions Research Program: An Elinor Ostrom Creation. Journal of Transnational Corporations Review Vol 2, No 1, p. 37-41. 2010.
- Farmer, J., Knapp, D., Meretsky, V., Chancellor, C., Fischer, B. Place attachment and the adoption of conservation easements. Conservation Biology 25(4):827-834. 2011.
- Coleman, E.A., B.C. Fischer and J.A. Kershaw, Jr. Using Stocking Guides to Take Stock of Forest Institutions. Society and Natural Resources. DOI: 10.1080/08941920.2011.585390. 2011.
- Farmer, J.R., Chancellor, C. and Fischer, B.C. Space to romp and roam and how it may promote land conservation. Natural Areas Journal 31:340-348. 2011.
- Farmer, J., Chancellor, C., and Fischer, B. Motivations for using conservation easements as a land protection mechanism: a mixed methods analysis. Natural Areas Journal, 31(1), 80-87. 2011.
- Fleischman, F.D., K. Boenning, G.A. Garcia-Lopez, S.K. Mincey, M. Schmitt-Harsh, K. Daedlow, M.C. Lopez, X. Basurto, B.C. Fischer and E. Ostrom. Disturbance, Response, and Persistence in Self-Organized Forested Communities: Analysis of Robustness and Resilience in Five Communities in Southern Indiana. Ecology and Society 15(4): 9. (online) URL: http:/www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art9/ 2010.
- Auer, M., K. Richards, D. Seesholtz, B. Fischer, C. Freitag and J. Grice. The U.S. Forest Service and Its Responsibilities under the National Environmental Policy Act: A Work Design Problem. Public Organization Review DOI 10.1007/s11115-010-0115-6,p. 135-153. 2011.