Faculty: Sergio Fernandez
Reports and Publications:
- “Establishing the Link between Representative Bureaucracy and Performance: The South African Case,” (with S. Koma and H. Lee), Governance (forthcoming)
- “Performance and Management in the Public Sector: Testing a Model of Relative Risk Aversion,” (with S. Nicholson-Crotty and J. Nicholson-Crotty) Public Administration Review, 77: 603-614 (2016)
- “Will More Black Cops Matter? Officer Race and Police-Involved Homicides of Black Citizens,” (with S. Nicholson-Crotty and J. Nicholson-Crotty) Public Administration Review, 77: 206-216 (April 2017)
- “Employee Empowerment and Turnover Intention in the U.S. Federal Bureaucracy,” (with S. Kim) American Review of Public Administration, 47: 4-22 (May 19 2015)
- “Does Leadership Training and Development Make a Difference in the Public Sector? A Panel Study,” (with B. Seidle and J. L. Perry) Public Administration Review, 76: 603-613 (February 2016)
- "The transformation of the South African Public Service: exploring the impact of racial and gender representation on organisational effectiveness," (with H. Lee). The Journal of Modern African Studies, 54: 91-116 (2016)
- “Assessing the Past and Promise of the Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey for Public Management Research: A Research Synthesis,” (with W. Resh, Z. Oberfield, and T. Moldogaziev). Public Administration Review, 75: 382-394 (2015)
- "Understanding and Overcoming Resistance to Change in Organizations (Chapter 4)," in Handbook of Public Administration. Third Edition. (R.K. Christensen and J.L. Perry, Eds.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (2015)
- "Government Outsourcing: A Practical Guide for State and Local Governments," (with S. Goldsmith and E. Rendell). Bloomington, Indiana: School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University (2014)
- "Employee empowerment, employee attitudes, and performance: Testing a causal model," (with T. Moldogaziev). Public Administration Review, 73(3): 490-506 (2013)
- "Race, gender, and government contracting: Different explanations or new prospects for theory?" (with D. Malatesta and C. Smith), Public Administration Review, 73(1): 109-120 (2013)
- "Using employee empowerment to encourage innovative behavior in the public sector." Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 23: 155-187 (2013)
- "Government contracts with private organizations: Are there differences between nonprofits and for-profits?" (with E. M. Witesman). Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (2012)
Reports and Publications:
- Fernandez, Sergio. What Works Best When Contracting for Services? An Analysis of Contracting Performance at the Local Level. Public Administration (London) 85:1119-1140. 2007.
- Fernandez, Sergio, Craig Smith, and Jeffrey Wenger. Employment, Privatization, and Managerial Choice: Does Contracting Out Reduce Public Sector Employment? Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 26:57-77. 2007.
- Fernandez, Sergio and David Pitts. Who are the Change Agents? Modeling Attitude and Behavior about Change among Public Managers. American Review of Public Administration 37:324-341. 2007.
- Fernandez, Sergio and Craig Smith. Looking for Evidence of Public Employee Opposition to Privatization: An Empirical Study with Implications for Practice. Review of Public Personnel Administration 26:356-381. 2006.
- Fernandez, Sergio and Hal G. Rainey. Managing Successful Organizational Change in the Public Sector: An Agenda for Research and Practice. Public Administration Review 26:168-176. 2006.
- Fernandez, Sergio. Understanding Contracting Performance: An Empirical Analysis. Administration and Society, 41: 67-100. 2009.
- Fernandez, Sergio. Examining the Effects of Leadership Behavior on Employee Perceptions of Performance and Job Satisfaction. Public Performance and Management Review, 32: 175-205. 2008.
- Fernandez, Sergio, Ryu, Jay Eungha, Brudney. Jeffrey L. Exploring Variations in Local Government Contracting: Do Politics Still Matter? American Review of Public Administration, 38: 439-462.
- Fernandez, Sergio, Cho, Yoonjik, and Perry, James L. Exploring the Link between Integrated Leadership and Public Sector Performance. Leadership Quarterly, 21: 308-323. 2010.
- Smith, Craig C. and Fernandez, Sergio. Equity in Federal Contracting: Examining the Link between Minority Representation and Federal Procurement Decisions. Public Administration Review, 70: 87-96. 2010.
- Fernandez, Sergio and Wise, Lois R. An Exploration of Why Public Organizations Ingest Innovations. Public Administration, 88: 979-998. 2010.
- Moynihan, Donald, Fernandez, Sergio, Kim, Soonhee, Leroux, Kelly M., Piotrowski, Suzanne J., Wright, Bradley E., and Yang, Kaifeng. Performance Regimes amidst Governance Complexity. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 21: 141-155. 2010.
- Fernandez, Sergio, Malatesta, Deanna, and Smith, Craig R. The Link between Democratic Representation and Federal Contracting Decisions: Signs of Divergence Manuscript under review at Public Administration Review. (Revise and resubmit)
- Seidle, Brett, Fernandez, Sergio and Perry, James L. Does Leadership Training and Development Make a Difference in the Public Sector. A Panel Study. (Under review) Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory.
- Fernandez, Sergio and Moldogaziev, Tima. Using Employee Empowerment to Encourage Innovative Behavior in the Public Sector. (Accepted) Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory.
- Fernandez, Sergio and Pitts, David. Understanding Employee Motivation to Innovate: Evidence from Front Line Employees in United States Federal Agencies. Australian Journal of Public Administration, 70: 202-222. 2011.
- Pitts, David W., Marvel, John, D., and Fernandez, Sergio. So Hard to Say Goodbye. Turnover Intention among U.S. Federal Employees. Public Administration Review, 71: 751-760. 2011.
- Fernandez, Sergio and Moldogaziev, Tima. Empowering Practices, Employee Cognition, and Performance: A Causal Model of the Employee Empowerment Process. (Manuscript under review) Governance.
- Pitts, David and Fernandez, Sergio. How Effective is Public Management Research, An Analysis of Scope and Methodology. International Public Management Journal, 12: 399-420. 2009.
- Fernandez, Sergio and Moldogaziev, Tima. Empowering Public Sector Employees to Improve Performance: Does it Work. American Review of Public Administration, 41: 23-47. 2010.