- Ph.D., University of Georgia, 2004
- M.P.A., Florida International University, 1996
- B.A., Florida International University, 1993
- Public Management
- Public Organization & Management II
- Research Design & Methods in Public Affairs
- Workshop in Public Policy
Sergio Fernandez serves as director of the Ph.D. in Public Affairs and Joint Ph.D. in Public Policy Programs. He is an expert in the fields of public management and organization theory, with a focus on employee empowerment, representative bureaucracy in the U.S. and South Africa, organizational change and innovation, public sector leadership, and government outsourcing.
Recently, Fernandez co-authored a SPEA Dean's Advisory Council Report on government contracting, with Mayor Steven Goldsmith and Governor Ed Rendell, titled Government Outsourcing: A Practical Guide for State and Local Governments.
In 2015, Fernandez was appointed Research Associate in the University of Johannesburg Centre for Public Management and Governance.