- Ph.D., University of Georgia, 2004
- M.P.A., Florida International University, 1996
- B.A., Florida International University, 1993
- Public Management
- Public Organization & Management II
- Research Design & Methods in Public Affairs
- Workshop in Public Policy
Sergio Fernandez is an expert in the fields of public management and organization theory, with a focus on employee empowerment, representative bureaucracy in the U.S. and South Africa, organizational change and innovation, public sector leadership, and government outsourcing.
Recently, Fernandez co-authored a SPEA Dean's Advisory Council Report on government contracting with Mayor Steven Goldsmith and Governor Ed Rendell, titled "Government Outsourcing: A Practical Guide for State and Local Governments."
In 2015, Fernandez was appointed Research Associate in the University of Johannesburg Centre for Public Management and Governance.