At the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, we actively strive to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our faculty, staff, students, and alumni engage in scholarship, teaching, and professional practice to enhance democracy, increase trust in public institutions, address issues of systematic inequality, secure public health and safety, and improve the well-being of individuals, families, communities, and the environment.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As the premier school of public and environmental affairs in the world, SPEA recognizes that identifying solutions to complex and intersectional issues requires the inclusion of diverse voices. We aim to respect and elevate the voices of all community members, whose diverse perspectives span the dimensions of race and ethnicity, national origin, culture, and language; gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and marital status; religion and political perspective; age; disability status; veteran status; and socioeconomic status. SPEA values the engagement of all faculty, students, staff, alumni, and community members in these endeavors.
- Our mission
SPEA aims to serve as a national model of public affairs education in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion advances that mission through the following activities:
- Drafting, adopting, and implementing a strategic plan to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of staff and faculty and the recruitment and retention of students;
- Developing and implementing student programming around diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Developing and implementing programming for staff and faculty around diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Consulting and advising on student admissions, the allocation of financial and merit aid, staff hiring, and faculty searches; and
- Connecting faculty, staff, and students with resources, mentorship, and support.
The SPEA Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Ashlyn Aiko Nelson
- SPEA's Diversity Committee
- Ashlyn Aiko Nelson, Chair
- Brian DeLong
- Michael Edwards
- Brad Fulton
- Kirsten Grønbjerg
- Anita Herbertz
- Ashley Hosseini
- Antonette McCaster
- Kand McQueen
- Victoria Perez
- Megan Siehl
- Megan Starnes
- R.J. Woodring
- Levon Williams
- Jericka Parker
Connect with our resources
Indiana University and SPEA provide student-sponsored groups, academic support, special programming, and cultural centers to support students, faculty, and staff. Take advantage of the many opportunities to learn about and celebrate diversity, equity, and multicultural affairs across campus. Find more information at diversity.iu.edu and beinvolved.indiana.edu, and below.